There are hundreds of types of marketing methods, but the correct choice of these depends on your choice of marketing strategy. A marketing strategy is how you want your marketing operations to run, and it is vital that you ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you trying to reach a mass audience or a specific niche?
- Who are your customers? B2B or B2C?
- Will you use conventional marketing or digital marketing?
- What are your competitors doing?
- What is your budget?
It is important to think about these questions beforehand because each method has its own pros and cons, but these have to correlate with your brand’s goals.
This article will take you through what we believe often makes the biggest impact on most businesses, and the benefits of each form of marketing.
What are the best forms of marketing for your business?
As the world becomes more digitised by the minute, with the huge popularity of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and recently the explosion of TikTok, it seems fair to assume that the majority of this list will be made up of digital marketing methods. And that assumption would be correct.
Digital marketing activities are much easier to analyse and allow businesses to tailor their communications relative to their target audience. However there are still some very practicable uses of conventional methods that we believe are a must in any marketing strategy, which you will find in our list.
For most businesses, the most effective method depends on what product you are selling or what services you are providing, so it is important to consider this as well. For a company selling boats, events marketing may work really well but not work so well for an accounting firm.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
SEO is a marketing method that is used to make a website or content rank as high as possible on Google. And it is probably the most important form of marketing. Or at least in our opinion. Getting SEO right is so important as it is very much the difference between having people see your website and not.
Did you know that 68% of online experiences begin with a search engine? Therefore if you optimise your page through search engine optimisation you can see huge website growth.
When your website is “optimised”, it helps search engines connect your website with the answers users are looking for. The overall objective of using this method is to increase “organic” traffic to your website with your target audience and potential customers.
What are the benefits of SEO?
- Increase organic traffic to your website
- SEO can be used to attract your target audience and potential customers
- It can be performed on a budget of your choice
- Helps to create a great user experience on your website
- The performance of the campaign can be easily tracked
When you discover how Milk & Tweed deliver SEO, you may come across a few unknown phrases, so check out our SEO jargon article to find out more on the subject.
Pay Per Click (PPC)
Pay per click differs from SEO, as it is a method by which the advertiser pays a search engine such as Google, as well as social media channels like Facebook and Twitter, to display ads. The advertisements are then displayed on search engine results page (SERPS) and social media feeds. What the advertiser pays is based on how many users click the advertisement.
What are the benefits of PPC?
- PPC allows you to adjust who sees the ad
- PPC reaches audiences cost-effectively and can be capped by your budget
- These ads reach new audiences who may not have been aware of your business
- You only have to pay for clicks
Check out our PPC jargon article for an insight as to how we use PPC and how it can greatly benefit your organisation.
Social media platforms such as Facebook are used by almost everyone in the world, which means you can reach a huge amount of people and tailor your communications to the audience you want to reach. Social media also allows you to easily track the performance of a campaign with its analytics tools. For smaller companies, it is also a brilliant and interactive way to communicate with your audience and customers directly and indirectly.
What are the benefits of social media marketing?
- Great way to increase brand awareness and knowledge of your company to your audience.
- Social media allows you to be creative and interactive with the content you upload.
- Social media platforms are unique to themselves, which allows you to use different means as a way to convey your marketing messages.
Social media may seem simple but the huge competition you can face means a well-thought-out and considered strategy is important to “disrupt the noise”. Speak to one of our team today to book in a consultation.
Social media, television and radio are a few forms of marketing that can both benefit and fall back from popularity trends. When was the last time you heard your friend posting on myspace, for example? However, email marketing has always been a great medium as everyone has an email and this trend doesn’t feel like ending anytime soon.
What are the benefits of email marketing?
- Almost everyone owns an email address.
- Most social media platforms require email addresses upon sign up, which makes it an excellent way to reach your target audience.
- Email marketing can be used as often as you like and to the budget you desire.
- Helps you find new customers and provides a great medium for you to communicate with them.
The perfect email marketing campaign that meets your budget and goals can be carried out by us to build your audience further.
Conventional marketing strategies are still very important and accessible to a huge audience. This is why we believe there is and will always be a place for print media in the marketing world.
Print marketing uses a range of different physical, printed media to advertise. This can be billboards, leaflets, magazines, newspapers and much more, meaning the strategy you use can be varied. While this type isn’t as easy to track as digital forms, it can be a lot cheaper and can be the best way to reach specific audiences.
What are the benefits of print media?
- Can reach a different type of demographic, compared to digital marketing.
- Can be used on a small budget with a range of different media.
- Geographic targeting can be performed.
- Print readers are often more engaged with what they are reading than users of digital media.
Event marketing is a great way to meet your customers face-to-face, provide samples of what your company offers and understand what your customer needs. In this networking hub, you get the opportunity to show off everything that is great about your company’s products and services. This is a great way to beat your competitors, as interacting physically will create a better relationship than digitally.
What are the benefits of event marketing?
- Can be held physically or online
- Opportunity to interact with key stakeholders
- Show off the benefits of your products/services directly to your target audience.
- You can even generate sales on the day!
Word of Mouth
Word of mouth may be the most underrated marketing strategy out there, as it eliminates any stage where the business has to try and develop a trustworthy relationship with a new customer.
Word of mouth marketing is when the consumer of a product or service displays their admiration. This method comes from ultimately providing a good service or selling a great product. Customers will then provide good reviews either through platforms such as Google or Trustpilot or through speaking with their friends and family.
What are the benefits of word of mouth marketing?
- The most cost-effective method, as it doesn’t cost anything.
- Customers trust the opinion of previous customers or family and friends.
- The trust with the customer has already been built or is close to being built.
Whatever your budget may be, it is always important to remember the key principle of your marketing communications. You must speak to YOUR target audience and think about how each method will help you do that. Understanding and getting to know how your customer behaves is essential in building a relationship and interacting with them. So why one method may be perfect for a company, it may not necessarily work for yours.
If you are unsure what marketing method will be most effective for your company, speak to a member of our helpful team today for a free consultation.